Research

The data registry is currently being utilized to answer research questions regarding patient satisfaction, recovery times, and efficacy of automated patient data collection.

We examined whether patient likelihood of repeating surgery is related to diagnosis or baseline QDASH factors. We discovered that baseline, QDASH score does NOT predict likelihood to repeat surgery and is similar for our groups.  However, the data begins to stratify at 3 weeks and by 6 weeks it becomes predictive of 1-year satisfaction.  This implies that within 6 weeks from surgery patients at high risk for dissatisfaction can be identified for potential interventions.

The recovery time and “return to work” time for Carpal Tunnel Release was examined. We discovered that only 75% of carpal tunnel release patients ever return to work, with the remaining 25% no longer employed at 1 year.

The registry database was used to calculate the recovery rate and 6-month outcomes for Open vs. Endoscopic carpal tunnel release. Current data suggests that recovery rates are equivalent, however in this study the endoscopic patients had less disability at every time point.

We are currently examining the return to work data and satisfaction data for ECTR vs. OCTR.  The following charts will be continuously updated as data becomes available.  Because the total number of enrolled patients is very low, we advise NOT to make treatment decisions based on the following data.  Furthermore, a greater number of Work Comp patients exist in the OCTR group, which has independently been shown to correlate with lower satisfaction and return-to-work.  This data has not be validated nor peer reviewed.


We report on the efficacy of utilizing email-based outcomes for data collection. The number of responses accumulated over 52 weeks is shown in the following 2 charts. The conclusion is that about 50% of patients will not respond to any time point, and there will be a downward trend of data collection time points to a plateau of about 10-12% of patients who complete all requested assessments.


Back to Top